A Great Big List of Things to Do Before You Sell Your Home
First impressions are everything when selling your home. Making sure that your potential buyer is comfortable and not only enjoys the tour of your home, but wants to make it their own, is a pretty simple task. Here are a few things that you can do to ensure a great experience for the buyer and not only multiple offers, but top dollar for your listing!
- SAY NO TO CLUTTER- My golden rule is, if you haven’t touched it for 6 months and you do not need it for daily living, PACK IT UP! Buyer’s want to imagine themselves and their things in a home when they are looking. Plus, you are moving, it’s going to make the process so much easier for you when the time comes… You’re welcome 🙂
- CLEAR OFF COUNTER SPACE- Clear off those kitchen and bathroom counters and wipe them clean! Less stuff of yours, makes the buyer feel that there is more space for theirs!
- DE-PERSONALIZE THE WHOLE HOUSE- Time to pack up the Little League trophies, family photos and the snow globe collection… Keep decorations neutral and to a minimum. Remember that photos of your home will become very public once you are listed and unless you want to feel like the whole world is creeping on you, go ahead and pack it away!
- CALL THE HANDYMAN- This is the time that you want to fix obvious issues with your home. For example… leaky faucets, drywall holes or repair, broken windows or cabinets that don’t close…. ALSO, remember to replace any burned out light bulbs. Besides keeping it light and bright, this assures buyers that even the little things are maintained.
- BATHROOMS- You can really change the look of the bathroom with a few simple steps from your local hardware store. Update out dated faucets or light fixtures and put fresh caulking around the tubs and sinks. A steam cleaner works wonders on dirty grout and tile… a new shower curtain and a bath mat and BAM it feels brand spankin’ new!
- FRESH COAT OF PAINT- This never hurt anyone… covers imperfections and little handprints. A fresh coat also smells fresh, covers up old musty odors that maybe lingering from pets or cooking.
- CLEAN YOUR WINDOWS AND WASH DOWN- Let the light shine through! It is also important to pay attention to dusty window sills and blinds… Also, pressure wash the outside of the home and hose away any dirt and cobwebs that may have accumulated over the years.
- CURB APPEAL- water grass, plant flowers and cut back overgrown shrubs and trees that may be blocking the beauty of your home.
- CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR PETS- Always clean up after your pets! Besides the fact that there is not one buyer out there that wants to look at it or smell it… You do not want them accidently stepping in it and tracking it through your home!
- LAST BUT NOT LEAST- Find a realtor that you connect with and trust. Do not hire a realtor because they tell you what you want to hear, this can be a very costly mistake! Hire a realtor that knows your city and neighborhood, one that “works” and is familiar with the ever changing market and most importantly, one that listens to your needs. After all…..You are the boss!
We know that by following these simple steps you will find great success and we absolutely would love to be apart of it! Remember, we have an extensive list of vendors that we work with everyday that can help you complete these tasks. We know that life is busy and getting started can be overwhelming, let us help you now!